Tuesday 7 October, 2008

Utopia

Today in socratic we talked about the perfect society, and as we talked about it, I realized that I've already written about it...kind of. I wrote more about the perfect city (it's titled The Future). What we talking about was the people and how they interact. Many of the comments made reminded me about a book called the Host (by Stephenie Meyer). In the Host, there's an Alien race which considers themselves perfect and conquers other soceities to make them perfect (their idea of perfection is peace and non-violence and as long as you're doing your part you have access to the things you need to survive).

In our class, we figured it's impossible for society to be perfect. If we have free will, people are bound to make wrong decisions. If we have a dictatorship, that's not really the best way to live.

What do you guys think is the perfect society?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that a perfect society would be one with out school, teachers, and nasty parents that just ruin your life. On the contrary I do believe that school is neccesary and such a drag in the average teenage life. But is school really neccesary. What do you think? Punk?

Célie said...

Omg Alex I totaly thought of The Host too . . . comes to show how absolutely obessed some people are with those book but I didn't want to bring it up in class because I would have gotten a sigh and a "look" from Dylan and a couple of other people and i didn't want that to happen yesterday. Anyway, I kinda think that the souls' "perfect society" is flawed because you basically loose your personality in the process. Everyone is the same, but then again, you can't really have utopia without that now can you?

J- dawg said...

i agree man. wow insperational. im crying. oh man i cant stop. ahhhhh!! k i like it. i like it very much. nice post. yup. any way why havent you been cheking out my blog lately.

Anonymous said...

in my utopia everyone would worship me like the king i am. cuz i deserve it

Alex said...

Ok anon, not needed.

J- dawg said...

hey alex, you had better like start a new post or something because Dye will get mad at you for not doing one!! and i like commenting on yours so get going!!! :)